Monday, 12 October 2015

Autumn Leaves Red Velvet Cupcakes

One of my favourite parts of autumn is the changing colours of the leaves, the emergence of beautiful, vibrant reds and oranges is just so pretty and magical. Feeling all inspired post bake off I've decided to combine this with one of my favourite cakes.. Red Velvet! Pinterest is full of cute autumnal decoration ideas at the moments so here's how my attempt turned out and the affordable, easy recipe I used.
Ingredients
For the cupackes
60g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
1 egg
10 g Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
20 ml Red Food Colouring
pinch if nutmeg
130g Greek Yoghurt
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicardinat3 of soda
1 and a 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar

For the Icing
Red/Orange Fondant Icing
Icing Sugar
Unsalted butter
Soft Cheese

Cupcake Time!
  1. Use an electric whisk to mix the butter and sugar until its light and fluffy.
  2. Slowly add the egg to the butter and sugar mixture and continue mixing until it looks like more of a cake mixture!
  3. Sieve the cocoa powder into a separate bowl and add the red food colouring, nutmeg and vanilla extract. I'm a lemon and forgot the vanilla extract so don't worry too much if you're missing this! Similarly I only used 10 ml red food colouring and mine weren't hugely red, so I'd double it if I was making them again! Mix into a dark paste using a spoon. Add to the other bowl and mix it all together with an electric whisk.
  4. Mix in half the yoghurt using the electric whisk, and then sieve and mix in half the flour. Mix in the remaining greek yoghurt and then the remaining flour using the electric whisk until you have a smooth, purply red mixture.
  5. Add the salt, bicarbonate of soda and white wine vinegar (my vinegar was very fizzy!) to the mixture and mix together.
  6. Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases until they're 2/3 full, or live dangerously, fill them the whole way and have giant cupcakes! 
  7. Bake for roughly 20-25 minutes at 170 degrees. My student house oven helpfully has no markings on its dial so my "170" was a total guess!
  8. Eat way too much of the cake mixture because lets face it it's probably going to taste better than the actual cake!
Icing Time
  1. This is possibly the most simple icing ever as you pretty much just chuck in random amounts of the icing sugar, soft cheese and butter and whisk together until you like the taste!! I haven't put any amounts on as I literally just completely made this part up, but I'd estimate I used maybe 100g of butter, 200g of icing sugar and 100g soft cheese, although that might be an underestimate as I had loads of butter icing leftover! 
  2. You can of course use a piping bag to neatly ice the cakes.. Or you can get frustrated at your inability to understand how piping bags work, give up and just stick it on with a knife like me! Either way it will taste delicious.  
  3. Then onto the really fun stuff, making the little leaves to go on top using shop bought fondant icing, sorry Mary Berry! This, unsurprisingly, was a lot more fiddly than it appeared on pinterest, but you essentially mix small amounts of the orange and red icing together into a ball, roll it out and cut it into a leaf shape. You could also sprinkle on some gold sugar glitter before adding the leaves.

And you're done! Mine may not be particularly red, but they taste really, really good and my housemates all loved them! They were also so much fun to make. Let me know what you think in the comments, and I'd love to know what your favourite cupcakes are!! 
Thanks for reading lovelies, Georgia xxxx
SHARE:

47 comments

  1. These look amazing Georgia! I love the little leaves!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful these cupcakes look! I would't want to eat them but keep then :)

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Ela! By the time I'd finally finished the leaves I was desperate to eat one! xx

      Delete
  3. These look so good! I'm a bit obsessed with red velvet cake so will definitely be bookmarking this for next time I feel like baking :) xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty | High-End Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Red velvet cake is so yum! xx

      Delete
  4. These look amazing oh wow I need to make these X
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to try these! They look super delicious :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really yum! Thanks for reading lovely :) xx

      Delete
  6. Oh these sure do look yummy and perfect for the start of autumn! Hope you enjoyed them :) xx

    http://leonnilittleblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing post dear! Have a nice day:)

    www.theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These cupcakes sound amazing and I love how you decorated them ^-^

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are beautiful!!

    xo, Liz
    http://lipstickandconfetti.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound so yummy, love your decoration =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm! I love red velvet cake! The leaves on the top are adorable too!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red velvet cakes the best! Thank you lovely :) xx

      Delete
  12. Cute photos! Loving your blog design too works so well with your style! x
    Formal dress up fun over on-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness these look SO, so incredible. You can't beat a good red velvet cake too!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! Gotta love red velvet cake :) xx

      Delete
  14. Omg, they look too adorable to eat! Guessing your oven's temperature isn't exactly sage is it, hahahahaha, these are the perfect little treats for the fall!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it did once have all the markings on (long ago!) so we know it only goes up to 220, its just a bit of a guessing game when you're trying to get 170 degrees exactly rather than just somewhere around there! Thanks for reading lovely :) xx

      Delete
  15. Wow! These look amazing, I definitely need to give them a try. :) x

    http://littlemissmexo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Let me know how they went if you do end up trying them!! xx

      Delete
  16. OMG ...They are sooooooo cutee <3 I am in love with them ....I need to try these out :)

    Fab Daisy 11 ~ http://fabdaisy11.blogspot.com.mt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment!! xx

      Delete
  17. oh my goodness THESE are amazing! I have a family lunch and I feel it is now imperative that I make these! Look at those leaves! Kudos to your baking skills! xx

    www.iridescentplaces.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much lovely!! Let me know how they go if you do make them! :) xx

      Delete
  18. These look amazing! I love the leaves :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute for autumn! I love anything red velvet as well. I will have to try the recipe out! x

    Jess | It's That Time For

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know how it goes if you do :) xx

      Delete
  20. Oh my goodness these are so cute! Love them!

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness these look so cute! Love everything red velvet:)
    -Krissy
    www.allthedetailsblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Have an amazing day! Georgia xx

© Chasing Belle 23. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig