Thursday, 28 January 2016

7 Things I Wish I Knew When I Started Blogging

Despite having read blogs for a long time I found that starting my own was a completely different experience, and there were so many things I just wish I knew back then! I know these sort of posts can be a bit decisive, but personally I find 'blog tips' type posts so, so helpful and I thought now that I've been blogging for 8 months I'd do one myself!
1. Commenting and interacting with other blogs is not only one of the most enjoyable parts of blogging, but also what will help to grow your blog. I love reading comments on something I've written and always try to check out blogs in return. I think a nice, thoughtful comment really can make somebody's day. I would suggest not going for a really generic "great post, follow my blog" type of comment though as they can seem slightly insincere, and honestly if they've just been cut and paste to as many places as possible its fairly obvious!
2. Remember your blog's supposed to be fun! It can be so easy to get swept away with increasing your follower counts, getting a few free products and trying to keep up with posting goals that you forget why you started all of this in the first place! I won't lie, reaching 500 followers on Bloglovin, Twitter and Instagram was great, but it isn't a magic fix to making you love your blog so remember to enjoy and be proud of what your posting, even if it gets a few less comments than usual!
3. Use natural light. It just looks so, so much better! Although winter hours now make this trickier and trickier, particularly for those of us working and studying a lot, it really does make such a difference to a picture. Check the difference lighting and editing can make to the picture's below to see what I mean!
4. Appreciate all your blog achievements. I think comparing yourself to other bloggers or even your own previous blog posts is such an easy trap to fall into and we're probably all guilty of it!  I remember having one post that for whatever reason got way more views and comments that any of my previous posts (like literally double the views of the one directly before) and after being ecstatic for a few days, I then started to worry about whether I'd ever have a post that successful again! Which obviously isn't the most positive way to look ahead!
5. Your blog template isn't the most confusing thing in the world, I promise! If, like me, you're not ridiculously savvy when it comes to html, java and encoding there are a crazy amount of step by step guides out there for even the most novice wanabe computer programmers! Check out the blogging tips series on vvnightingale for some great, easy to follow advice, or consider downloading a cheap template. Mines from the wonderful Pipdig and not only was it crazily easy to apply but it also essentially does nearly everything design wise for you!
6. Dont feel too self-conscious. While really fun and exciting, starting a blog is also pretty scary, and I think one of the scariest things is the potential reactions of others. When I started blogging I only told my sister and my best friend and to be honest this number hasn't hugely increased! I would say that if you're worried about having people laugh at you or just not understand the point of blogging then don't worry too much! It's your little space online to write about what you want to write about, so try not to worry too much about what other people might or might not think. Although big shout out to my mum who secretly stalks my blog!
7. Social media is super important! Whether its getting new readers, putting your blog out there or finding new blogs to read and interact with, social media, and especially twitter, is the way to go. Joining twitter chats is really fun and also allows you to meet so many new bloggers and potential readers, so just go for it!
These might seem like pretty simple tips, but these are definitely the ones I wish I'd known all those months ago when I decided on the spur of the moment as I avoided revising that starting a blog would be a great idea. And to be fair, it was a pretty great idea, so I'd definitely recommend going for it if you are considering starting one, and I'd love to read it!!
What do you think of these tips? And if you have a blog what is the one thing that you wish you'd told your newbie blogger self?!
Georgia xxxx
SHARE:

39 comments

  1. This is a great post! I'm still struggling with social media as this is not my thing at all haha. I agree about natural light, it gives the best result - taking photos is a real skill that needs to be mastered. And of course blogging should be fun, I think you can totally see it if someone's not happy blogging, it reflects on the content or the tone of the posts! :)

    Julia xx
    Last post: First Haul of the Year | http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.fr/2016/01/first-haul-of-year-sales.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is tricky, I still haven't completely got the hang of twitter but am getting there! Completely agree, I think you can just tell if people aren't happy blogging, thanks for reading :) xx

      Delete
  2. These are fantastic tips! I've recently started a blog after putting it off for a good couple of years. Needless to say I've totally fallen in love with it but I was apprehensive at the start - worried about other not taking me seriously! Social media is fantastic and I definitely agree that Twitter is a great way to get yourself out there! I've recently written a similar post following a 7-day blogging challenge and I've already learned so much in such a short space of time - I can't wait to see what I'll learn over the coming months! Thank you for sharing your tips, they are sure to be a great help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was exactly the same when I started, but social media is so helpful :) Glad you found the post helpful and I'll be sure to check out your post!! :) xx

      Delete
  3. Totally agree with these! My mum is actually the only one that knows I blog but I'm not sure if she's stalking me yet (not sure she knows what a blog is!), I think I want to get the confidence to tell a few other people this year! And I really need to join in some Twitter chats! Getting a Pipdig template was the best thing I think I did for myself last year, it was so easy!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a few of my close friends know, but not many other people! I want to tell more people this year as well :) You should definitely try some twitter chats! They're really fun to join in with! Completely agree, it literally just does your whole design for you xx

      Delete
  4. i agree with all of these tips!:-) my family and a couple of family friends know about my blog, but no one else! i need to pluck up the courage to mention it on my social media! lovely post:-)xx

    emjbarker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Number 1! Definitely! I regret not doing this sooo much! All of these are so so true! Wish I had seen when i first started blogging!
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I was just too nervous that I'd write the wrong thing! Thanks for reading :) xx

      Delete
  6. I just started blogging and the thing I struggle with most is pictures. I engage with my readers and spend a lot of time on social media, but the art of the flatlay is impossible for me and getting my lighting situation together really stresses me out. I won't give up though, as I love blogging and I really want to watch it grow. Great post with really good tips.

    Tazhiana
    tazhiluxe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking pictures can be really stressful! It definitely took me a while to manage to take a flatlay and I'm still learning!! I think with photography the more you practice the easier it gets though :) Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete
  7. Always wish I had known about Twitter when I first started! Natural lighting is a lifesaver, I'm struggling without it this winter. So much more effort!! xx

    Tamz | http://www.throughneweyesx.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I took ages to get it because I wasn't sure how it worked and then it was ages before I was brave enough to join a chat. Completely agree with natural lighting, we need summer back! xx

      Delete
  8. Definitely agree with natural light! I hate taking photos in electric light, when the light reflects off everything! I really struggle with social media, I use it but I'm just too shy and self conscious to link my blog to it as I don't really tell many people that I blog, I need to get a grip!

    Lucy x- Yellowicing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Social media's definitely not my strong point either! I still don't think I'd ever put my blog on facebook, but I'm definitely trying to use social media more! Thanks for reading! :) xx

      Delete
  9. I agree with all of these! I wish I had known some of these things when I started blogging but it's a whole learning processes. Even if you're an experienced blogger, I'm sure you still learn some new things. Great post to read!xx

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, you only learn by making a few mistakes along the way! Thank you :) xx

      Delete
  10. Your blog is so pretty! Lovely tips, I keep putting twitter off because I can't seem to get the hang of it, but know it would probably benefit me to join haha xD I love your photos! xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (doing follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I've found twitter increased my traffic so much so I'd definitely recommend it! xx
      www.chasingbelle23.blogspot.co.uk

      Delete
  11. These are great tips & I honestly wish I had known them when I started blogging. Social media and interacting with other bloggers is really important and being part of the blogging community is a lot of fun, everyone is so supportive. :) The first thing I would tell me newbie blogger self is that coding isn't that difficult and that I should only upload posts I'm really passionate about. :) x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree about social media and the blogging community! That's such great advice, I was so confused by coding when I first started blogging! xx

      Delete
  12. I love these tips! I and I have to highlight #1 as super important, since the reason I'm here is a comment you left on my blog (thank you!) - just shows that it works!
    I still struggle with being too self conscious from time to time, but blogging is great practice for me in being more confident.
    xx

    - Anne | annesmiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do too, but blogging has improved my confidence as well :) Thanks for reading! xx

      Delete
  13. These are such wonderful points to make! I agree with all of them! I have been blogging Nearly two years and I am only just gaining the confidence to write about personal issues and taboo subjects x

    http://thriftyvintagefashion.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/25-thoughts-all-girls-have-everyday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree! I think it takes so much confidence to write about personal issues. Thanks for reading! :) xx

      Delete
  14. Great tips, I think remembering that it's meant to be fun and at least for me I started it for myself more than anything else is really important! It's easy to get bogged down in stats and html and being a perfectionist!

    www.Barely There Beauty.com | British Beauty & Lifestyle blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, being a perfectionist is not ideal for blogging! Thanks for reading :) xx

      Delete
  15. These are amazing tips! I have started using Twitter a lot more recently and it has done a lot for my blog! x

    Erin // Everything Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that momentum is difficult for a lot of bloggers. It's so easy to fall in to the trap of skipping a post, or a week, which quickly becomes a couple of weeks - I'm sure lots of people hit the dip and never come out of the other side.

    On the Social Media front, I couldn't agree more. Being part of a community online can help develop ideas and collaboration opportunities. You might like to include a link to this huge list of Twitter Chats we maintain (http://tillison.co.uk/blog/complete-twitter-chat-hours-directory/) - something in there for almost every topic going!

    Keep on blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, its difficult to come back after not posting in a while! Will be sure to check that list out :) xx

      Delete
  17. A really great things to know when you start blogging! I wish I knew these too. Natural light is a way to go and social media is a huge part of blogosphere. I wish I knew sooner that it is okay to take a break and that having a twitter for your blog is the best thing ever :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree, wish I'd got twitter sooner! Thanks for reading lovely :) xx

      Delete
  18. This is a really great beginners guide to blogging ! You're right about reading and supporting the blogging community because you learn so much from other peoples blogs and it is really rubbish when you see cut and paste comments, I sometimes even remove them because I actually think it's really rude to just use someones hard work for promotion especially in such a blunt way :) I really liked the tip about not comparing your achievements and panicking about page views because I have often done that before after a randomly sucessful post <3

    Lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Completely agree about cut and paste comments being rude as it takes so much time to write a post xx

      Delete
  19. Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said, especially regarding the comments! I get so genuinely happy whenever I see that someone took the time out of their day to comment on one of my posts! :)

    Franzi. x // [http://franzizzy.blogspot.com/]

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've just started blogging myself for a university module and found this really useful to read through, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Do you have any suggestions of which twitter chats to follow and join in on? I've been struggling to find any! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Have an amazing day! Georgia xx

© Chasing Belle 23. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig