Thursday, 4 February 2016

Book Review: The Bones of You

I've never posted a book review before, but this beautifully written psychological thriller seemed like the perfect read to start with! I loved this book, with its captivating, intricate plot paved out with mystery and secrets that you become desperate to understand. This is the sort of book that you could easily read in one sitting, and become more and more intrigued by with each page.
The story revolves around the disappearance of eighteen year old Rosie from her seemingly perfect loving family in a quiet idyllic country village. As the village attempts to come to terms with the disappearances of one of their own, family friend Kate finds herself entwined in the aftermath of Rosie's disappearance and desperately trying to uncover what's happened to her. With her whole life ahead of her, who would want to harm a kind and beautiful girl like Rosie, and most importantly, why? The books many twists and turns investigate what's happened to Rosie, but also explore what happens to a family following a tragedy such as a child going missing. How can they possibly recover? And is there any such thing as a 'normal' reaction?


"Then the voice start. The secrets no one must ever know, that aren't secrets any more because I can hear them. The face that was always watching me, that knows the truth. I'm looking at a movie of my life." Rosie 

The plot interweaves the events following Rosie's disappearance, with Rosie reliving a highlight reel of her life, this time acting as an observer to her own childhood. The book really highlights the secrets people hide and the lives they lead behind closed doors, with more and more being slowly revealed about the people closest to Rosie.

"I have a gardener's inherent belief in the natural order of things. Soft-petalled flowers that go to seed. The resolute passage of the seasons. Swallows that fly thousands of miles to follow the eternal summer. Children who don't die before their parents." Kate 

Both Rosie and Kate are extremely likeable characters, with sweet, gentle, caring Rosie showing so many layers to her character and appearing wise beyond her years. Meanwhile Kate plays the loving mother and friend who becomes increasingly obsessed with uncovering what's happened to the quiet and gentle girl who helped with her horses. Ultimately the story revolves around why a beautiful, kind girl like Rosie just disappears in the middle of the night, and the mystery of what's happened to her will keep you guessing until the very end.

You'll like this if you liked: The Girl on the Train, I Let You Go.
Have any of you guys read this book? Or if you've got any reading recommendations!
Georgia xxxx
SHARE:

18 comments

  1. I really loved reading the girl on the train so I'll have to check this out. Great first book review!x

    www.beesytimes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading books of this genre, so I definitely want to give this a go. I might suggest it as the book for my next Book Club! :) xx

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it! :) Thanks for reading xx

      Delete
  3. This sounds great! Reading is something want to get back into this year!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love reading, hope you get back into it!! xx

      Delete
  4. I also loved girl on the train and other similar mystery novels recently, so I'm definitely going to be checking this one out. Thanks for sharing!

    elainea
    toast the girl almighty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting read! I always really enjoy novels centred around a mystery, thank you for your review dear! xxxxx

    www.romantiquely.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this is an audiobook so I can listen to it instead.

    http://jessie-lou3.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds really good! Reading is one of my favourite things to do! Not my normal type of book but the disappearance sounds intriguing! Lydia Eve, www.mydaisychaincloset.blogspot.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its one of my favourite things too :) Thanks for reading lovely! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh I've heard of this before , it does sound like the kind of book I'd enjoy!

    www.saltandchic.com // UK Fashion & Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it! Thanks for reading! :) xx

      Delete
  9. I'm desperate to read this now, I love books that keep you so interested you can't put it down and this sounds like a brilliantly intrigueing storyline ! I'm going to have to pick it up :)

    lots of love, marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely intriguing! Hope you enjoy it if you do end up reading it :) xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! Have an amazing day! Georgia xx

© Chasing Belle 23. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig